This single barrel Port Solist was exclusively bottled for members of KavaFan. (204 total bottles). It was barreled on July 6, 2009, and bottled on December 8, 2017. 8 years, 5 months, 2 days old.
Kavalan Solist Port Cask (KavaFan Bottling) O090706042A, bottle 33/204, 58.6% ABV
- Nose: Amazing sweetness on the nose, vanilla, caramel, and cotton candy. Dark raspberries, and strawberries. Dates, figs, and red plums. Very prominent nuttiness (almonds and walnuts).
- Taste: Maraschino cherries, dark chocolate, oranges, chestnuts and a nice dry oak.
- Finish: Long and buttery, very good viscosity, orange peel, raspberries, and oak notes linger.
- Thoughts: Another home run from KavaFan! The nose is unbelievably good. Dark and rich fruit with a nice nutty background. The combo of sweet vanilla and velvety nuttiness reminds me of a high quality barrel-proof bourbon. Its like Pappy 23 and Booker’s mixed together then finished in a port pipe. Really nice stuff that continues to impress on the palate and finish. Water brings out more citrus. The extra age gives this nice depth and balance. I love it.
- Score: 93.5 + NA value point(s) = 93.5/100
After my initial score I will add or subtract points relative on how I perceive value (based on what I paid for the bottle). A zero value means I think the price is justified.