Macallan Edition No.3, 48.3% ABV, $110 USD
Collaboration with master perfumer Roja Dove, this edition uses the following casks to make up the vatting: First Fill American Hudosa Butts, Second fill Euro and American Refill Butts, First Fill Euro Tevasa Butts and Puncheons, First Fill American Bourbon Hogsheads, First Fill Euro Tevasa Hogsheads, and First Fill American Bourbon Barrels.
- Nose: Floral dominates, chocolate orange, malt, honey, and a slight cinnamon.
- Taste: Heavy malt, honey, chocolate fudge, citrus, orange marmalade, fruit cake.
- Finish: Medium. Malt, fudge, and honey notes linger.
- Thoughts: Really nice edition yet again! Although present, it’s not the heavy sherry Edition 2 brought you. This is somewhere between the standard Sherry and Fine Oak range (but closer to the sherry). You get just slight elements from the Fine Oak, which I like a lot. It’s like if you took Macallan 12 and 18 and added just a little 12 and 15 Fine Oak. Nicely balanced and layered. You can tell it’s a Macallan, but not as obvious as previous editions. Justified price in the USA; I assume it will be the same $175 the Edition 2 was at the LCBO.
- Score: 89 + 0 value point(s) = 89/100
After my initial score I add or subtract points relative on how I perceive value (based on what I paid for the bottle). A zero value means I think the price is justified.