Compass Box – Enlightenment, 46% ABV, $85 USD
Blended malt composed of 48.2% Clynelish (first fill American standard barrel), 36.7% Glentauchers (first fill American standard barrel), 10.8% Balblair (first fill American standard barrel), and 4.3% Mortlach (rejuvenated American standard barrel) as per compassboxwhiksy.com
- Nose: Explosion of super fresh apples, pears, and kiwi. Very crisp and clean. Malt, vanilla, and peaches. Smells just like the syrup in a canned fruit cocktail.
- Taste: Under-ripe pears, peaches, vanilla, malt, subtle spice, and gram crackers.
- Finish: Medium to long, viscous. Fresh fruit and malt linger.
- Thoughts: Refreshing. Really crisp. Reminds me of spring rain and morning dew. If you like Clynelish you will obviously love this. It kind of reminds me a little of Ballantines 17 but without the peat (probably because it’s 36.7% Glentauchers). Really nice mouth-feel, and good viscosity. Another well thought and put-together blend by John Glaser.
- Score: 88 + 1 value point(s) = 89/100
After my initial score I add or subtract points relative on how I perceive value (based on what I paid for the bottle). A zero value means I think the price is justified.