Thanks to Rob from Whisky In The 6 for gifting me the remainder of this bottle! Checkout his reviews on YouTube (just search “Whisky in the 6”)
Balvenie 15, Single Barrel – Sherry Cask, (European Sherry Butt) 47.8% ABV, $105 USD
- Nose: Nice rich sherry. Raisins, red plums, pears, green apple, starfruit.
- Taste: Really nice chocolate notes, chocolate cake, carrot cake without the carrot (just the spicy notes) more raisins, plums, and a really nice icing sugar sweetness. The oak note is perfectly balanced here.
- Finish: Medium/long, oak and chocolate linger, nice viscosity.
- Thoughts: Not the most complex sherried whisky I’ve had, but it makes up for it with it’s elegance. It tastes older than its age, and I love the profile. The nose is reminiscent of the Macallan 18 which I love. $105 USD is what I paid for a bottle still unopened. If I could easily source this at that price, I would have multiple bottles on hand!
- Score: 89 + 0 value point(s) = 89/100
After my initial score I will add or subtract points relative on how I perceive value (based on what I paid for the bottle). A zero value means I think the price is justified.
0-69.5 – Don’t bother trying, life is too short for bad spirit.
70-79.5 – Worth trying, but you’re not missing out if you don’t.
80-84.5 – I recommend trying.
85-87.5 – Definitely try this!
88-92.5 – I recommend buying a bottle blind!
93-95.5 – Stuff you reserve for special pours!
96+ – The meaning of life.